Thursday, June 29, 2017

Sundown by Nora Roberts

So I have been waiting on the new Nora Roberts stand alone, once a year novel to hit the books stands. I buy in hardback because I pass it on to my mother and she loves to collect her books in hardback. This novel was highly anticipated by me because well Nora Roberts just never disappoints and she is one of my favorites. Here was my big surprise.
Yes I guess she can disappoint as this was far from her best work. I look forward to a new novel from Nora each summer and I was waiting on this one because it sound like it would be her usual great novel. I was 205 pages in before I even started to get interested. This one just fell flat. The main characters Cal and Bodine had absolutely no chemistry in fact Cal had more chemistry with Alice and his horse that he did with Bodine. Their interactions did not have the hot desire that we  have come to expect from Nora Roberts. They were so bland almost like sister and brother. The plot of the story had such potential but it went on with way too much detail of the ranch life and running a ranch resort. I was bogged down with the boring everyday and there was no suspense, edge of my seat, can't wait to turn the page in the book. Even though the ending was a surprise, best part of the book; it still wasn't enough to leave me feeling like I had read a great book.
All of her recent novels have been so captivating and I was expecting this one to be the same and I was disappointed. It felt as if someone else started the book and then she came in on the last 100 pages and finished it.
I feel as if I wasted my time and money on this one. But more than that I feel let down by the author. I know she can't hit them out of the park all of the time but there were so many ways this one could have been better. Does she need to slow down and stop trying to put out so many books in one year with all of her other projects? I just know I miss the novel I have come to expect. Let's just hope the 1st installment of the new trilogy due out this fall is what we have come to expect and does not let us down as well.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment